FAQ About State Pension

State Pension
one year ago | alfred

Can I pay for gaps in your NI contributions?

Yes, you may be able to pay for gaps in your National Insurance (NI) contributions in order to increase your entitlement to the State Pension in the UK. This is known as voluntary National Insurance contributions.

There are different types of voluntary National Insurance contributions, and the one you choose will depend on your individual circumstances. For example, you may be able to pay Class 3 voluntary contributions to fill gaps in your NI record from the past six years, or you may be able to pay Class 2 voluntary contributions if you're self-employed or not working but want to make sure you have a qualifying year for the State Pension.

It's worth noting that paying voluntary contributions may not always be the best option for everyone, particularly if you're close to reaching your State Pension age or if you have other retirement savings that you can rely on. It's important to consider your individual circumstances and seek professional advice if you're unsure about what to do.

You can check your NI record and find out more about voluntary contributions on the UK government's website.